Thursday, November 8, 2012

Free Infant Bear Hat Crochet Pattern

Those adorable sandals (found here) I made were not the only presents I gave to my cousin for her new baby. I also made her this:
October 26, 2012 (4)
October 26, 2012 (1)October 26, 2012 (2)October 26, 2012 (3)October 26, 2012 (5)
Aren’t they adorable? The Mitts pattern is not mine. I just added the cute little bear claws. You can find the mitts pattern HERE.
 
The adorable bear hat IS mine  :)
To make this cutie, I used worsted weight yarn in Brown and Cream (both from Red Heart) and a size H/8 5.0 mm hook.
 
The Abbreviations I use are the American versions.
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
dc – double crochet
sl st – slip stitch
st – stitch
sk – skip
hdc – half double crochet
 
Pattern:
* Using primary color (I used cream) ch 5 and sl st together to form a circle.
Row 1 – ch 2 (counts as first dc here and from now on) 5 dc around and sl st together.    *I finish all rows with a sl st. If you’d prefer to work continuously the pattern will be the same, you just need to keep track of your stitches. (7 st)
Row 2 – ch 2, 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in each st after (14 st)
Row 3 – ch 2, 1 dc in next 2 st, 2 dc in next. repeat 1-2-1-2 pattern around. (21 st)
Row 4 –  repeat row 3 (30 st)
Row 5 – repeat row 3 (44 st)
Row 6 – ch 2, 1 dc in next 4 st, 2 dc in next. repeat 1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-1-2 around (51 st)
Row 7 and 8 – ch 2, 1 dc in each st around (51 st)
 
Row 9 – (start of earflaps)
          ch 2, 8 dc (1 hdc in each st here and throughout earflaps)
*9 hdc, ch 2, turn. 9 hdc, ch 2, turn. sk 1 st, 8 hdc, ch 2, turn. sk 1 st, 7 hdc, ch 2, turn. sk 1 st, 6 hdc, ch 2, turn. sk 1 st, 5 hdc, ch 2, turn. sk 1 st, 4 hdc*
sl st down earflap 1 towards front of the hat. when you get to the end of the earflap 16 dc (1 in each st)
repeat between the *
sl st down earflap 2 towards the back of the hat. when you get to the end of the earflap 8 dc (1 in each st) finish off.
Row 10 – join next color (I used dark brown) 1 sc in each stitch around. finish off and weave in ends.
 
Ears – (make two) I used cream for my ears but you could switch up the colors for more contrast.
7 dc in a magic ring, ch 2, turn. dc in each st. finish off and pull ring tight. Sew ears onto hat and weave in ends.
For eyes, I used dark brown and stitched 2 curves into the bottom of the hat to make the bear look like it’s sleeping.
 
Well I hope you all like my bear and I would love to see your versions so feel free to comment with links to your projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment